tribe/m

digital cammies

07/08 by Unsubsc...

Been watching the progress of these uniforms with great interest. I know the *official* ones have the tiny EGA as part of the fabric. I was told early on that at first there wasnt enough to go around for everyone to meet their minimum uniform requirements. And as such, people could get away with wearing the ones that met certain manufacture standards with the exception of the EGA being included.

Whats the story on that? True? False? Whats the status now?

How big IS the EGA in the fabric? Back during Fleet Week, I got close enough to a bunch of Marines in Digitals to see the fabric. What I DIDNT see was the EGA. Is it in there so tiny or in a really non contrasting color that it cant be seen easily?

Re: digital cammies

Sean 07/08 by Sean

Havent seen the any with the special EGA as you are saying, just the old Iron ons... The digitals are no longer Marine only. They were for the first 2 years, now the other services are getting them...

See lots of Air Force and Army guys wearing them now...

Steve 07/08 by Steve

As far as I know they were made the first two years of introduction(the ones with the EGA)...
The Air Force as a new Tiger Stripe set, the Army has what I call the Mint suit(yea I'm in the Army now no Jokes please), the Navy has a new one but I havent seen it yet...

07/08 by Unsubsc...

Ooooooooooooh (on both counts).
Ok, lemme kinda take a different angle of the original question now that Ive got some heads up on it.
When they WERE making/issuing the ones with the EGA...was what I was told about Marines being able to get away (long as it wasnt a major inspection so to say) with wearing the the ones withOUT the EGA because there werent enough to go around yet...true?

WOW!!! USAF is going to TIGER STRIPE?!??!? THIS I gotta SEE!!

Im familiar with the range of digitals worn by the Army (no jokes...I got enough WW2 Army vet relatives up in heaven thatd hit me in the ass with lightning).
Whats the point/idea behind the...what is it...three classifications???

Ive seen pix of the proposed Navy design. Its basically ship color friendly. Like tones of blue and grey with black and white if I recall. Their new work/duty uniforms are hideous though. They look like NYPD Recruits from the Adacemy.

Steve 07/08 by Steve

"When they WERE making/issuing the ones with the EGA...was what I was told about Marines being able to get away (long as it wasnt a major inspection so to say) with wearing the the ones withOUT the EGA because there werent enough to go around yet...true? "

I cant answer that when I got out the word had just come out about the uniform change... I can tell you in the begining there were so many diffrent uniform combos it made every one sick... Every one looked like a shit bag at first... Some units only had tops with camy trowsers others opposite... It was sick.. Not to mention the cover situstions... Inspection Formations were only Camys until the whole unit had at least one set.....

As far as the Air Force Uniform: www.defenselink.mil/transfor...406a.html

The point of digital it to mess with night vision goggles... With out the I.R. patch there almost invisable at night... The army has two sets one Brown and Tan(very hard to fine and I'm not even sure if there offical) and the Mint Green ones... Personaly they are more user friendly, and cooler in the summer... The bad part is the expected life on the uniform, 6 months....

Your Right the Navy Uniform is very Diffrent: www.military.com/NewsConte...04,00.html

Sean 07/08 by Sean

There is an Army reserve center near my house, still used as a Training center though it constantly has active duty troops coming in for training and stationing the full time positions as well. I have seen many of the Army soldiers from that base in town and at the store up close and many of them are wearing the exact same digital cammies the Marines are.

I dont know if they got those from a Marine base or supply or they are being issued the same pattern minus the EGA, but all of the Army boys here are definately wearing the exact same new style cammies.

Steve 07/09 by Steve

There must be the Brown ones because if they dont look like mine then there wrong... But like I said before I'm not sure if even the Brown ones are offical....

07/10 by Unsubsc...

so...is it the case that the BDUs are dead in favor of ACUs? Is there a difference in designation tween the Army issue one that looks like the USMC stuff and the *mint* uniform?

with the USMC....whats the difference tween Combat Utilites and Camouflage Utilities? (both designations taken directly from the online USMC Uniform Regs)

Steve 07/10 by Steve

The diffrence between the Marine Corps and the Army one I think is over color... The one you see me in is Army one or here is a better Pics:
www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites...l1.jpg
wrongcrowd.com/images/art...41281_1.jpg

As far as the rest I dont know...

Mudgely 07/10 by Mudgely

Mine all have EGA in them. It is small. You can only see it looking closely at the fabric.

My understanding is that Army has just one color, whereas Marines have desert and jungle patterns.

I don't know much else.

Steve 07/10 by Steve

Your right as far as the Army so far, but I've seen the desert style for Army here in country... I dont know the unit but I've seen it...

07/11 by Unsubsc...

They have the eagle, globe and anchor embroidered on the pocket like the old ones. Yeah you have to look closely to see it because it blends into the fabric. It's stitched in green, and the iron-ons were black. The emblems in the pattern are tiny but they are there and if you look you can see them randomly strewn about the material. No, Marines are not allowed to wear anything other than those that are printed with the emblems.

;-)

John 07/24 by John

OK, granted Im a Corpsman, but I have both desert and jungle digies, there are 7 EGAs uniform, (Board Question), the authentic Marine uniform has the ega on the pocket as well, and a made for the USMC tag inside. All active unit were issued them first, in order of deployment, now everyone should have them except a few reserve units. The Army, according to the 101st over here in Baghdad, has one color that works for both enviroments, they did it that way on purpose.

07/25 by Unsubsc...

sorry for being kinda dense...when you say there are 7 EGAs uniform....what are you referring to? Does that mean more styles besides the jungle (woodland??) and desert.?

Mudgely 07/29 by Mudgely

I never counted. I would bet there are more than 7 though. They are little ones in the fabric itself, not the embroidered one on the pocket which was referred to earlier.

Joe 06/08 by Joe

OK well i can assure u that our cammies have a small ega in them they are randomly put in the pattern the cloth which the cammies are made from have ega's all through them every 18 inches. Some blouses may only have 4 or 5 ega's in the them, it is likely to have at least 3 you are more likely to have a cover with no ega's on it. I've only got one with an ega in the fabric. As a Drill Instructor on Parris Island i hear recruits talking about this all the time in the squad bay.

Loren 02/12 by Loren

I just got out of the Marines a year ago... I'm actually looking forward to re-joining shortly. As far as the Issued cammies we have our woodland digies and our desert digies. there is a large ega on the left breast pocket and then on the fabric its self there are small ega symbols with usmc stamped under neath and its all a hair smaller than a dime in size. theres not a set amount of how many are scattered out in the fabric. there just hidden in random places. It's not only for official use to notice the hidden ega's but its also a way for them to notice ours from walmart or surplus version of the digital camo. I have actually done several tests with the woodland and desert digies to see how well you are noticeable in certain settings. it's harder to see a marine set back in the woods with his digies on compared to the old blotch style. As well as the desert you stand a marine up next to a building in iraq or lay him in the desert it's hard to spot him. There's no words for the army's version of the digies. U stand there gray brick wall imitation crap up against a tree in the woods or a building in Iraq or Afghanistan you spot them from a mile away or more... But hey what Army official is going to listen to a Jarhead about cover and concealment. Like we know what were doing or what we are talking about OOOORAH!!!